- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 egg
- 1½ tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- Red food coloring
- ½ cup candy cane, crushed
- ½ cup sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine shortening, confectioners’ sugar, egg, and almond and vanilla extracts in a large bowl. Add flour and salt and mix.
2. Divide dough into two halves. Add red food coloring to one half of the dough.
3. Roll lengths of red and plain dough on a lightly floured board. Twist together and shape into candy canes.
4. Bake cookies for 9 minutes on ungreased cookie sheet until lightly browned. Meanwhile, combine the crushed candy cane and sugar. Sprinkle over the finished cookies while they’re still warm.
From Stickley: In Good Taste Cookbook, third edition